Bake and Barter

CS 220: Human Computer Interactions Project

By: Emily Faith Anderson, Beatrice Egan, and Claire Schlenker

P3: Paper Prototypes


Bake & Barter is an application designed to facilitate the baking process at Wellesley College. Baking, or cooking, on campus can be really difficult because you often do not have the ingredients or supplies that you need, you do not have a good way to dispose of leftovers, and you may not have the baking knowledge that you need. A baking culture does not exist at Wellesley, and there is currently no way for student bakers to connect with each other.

The goal of Bake & Barter is to serve as a resource to connect bakers and create a baking community. Once bakers are connected, they can share ingredients, supplies, recipes, and advice. Ideally, Bake & Barter will be used to enhance the student baking experience at Wellesley.

Scenario Tasks

The following tasks were used with our non-class users. They were revised after our initial pilot testing.

Task 1

Search for eggs. Filter by price. Select barter. Complete exchange.

Task 2

Search for a recipe, specifically a dessert recipe.

Task 3

You receive a notification. Reply to the message from Lender Laura.

Task 4

You’ll be posting ingredients and supplies. You will be posting eggs for $2 and a baking sheet for barter.

Task 5

Update your profile. Change your dorm and picture.

Observations and Resolutions

During our pilot testing with fellow CS220 students, we provided users with tasks that directly corresponded to the tasks within our three scenarios. However, this choice meant that some individual sub-tasks (such as posting or looking for an item) were being completed in multiple tasks given to users. We realized that by giving users multiple sub-tasks at the same, our users were occasionally confused about what we wanted them to do. Therefore, we revised the tasks that we gave to users, as included in the section above. These revised tasks were simpler, and did not contain nested sub-tasks. They do not correspond directly to any one scenario, but collectively encompass all tasks needed to complete our scenarios. Because we revised these tasks, the pilot observations below are not organized by task like the non-class user observations.

Pilot users

The following observations have been grouped by similarity:

Overall, our pilot testing identified several major flaws of our initial design. Our navigational system proved to be difficult for almost all of the users, and prompted the most critiques.

Non-class users

The following observations have been grouped by task:

Task 1 Task 2 Task 3 Task 4 Task 5 General observations

Overall, our prototype testing went fairly smoothly. However, some general concerns and issues were brought to our attention.


After our pilot testing, we made several changes to our design before testing with our non-class users. The changes we made included:

The most substantial changes that we made to our design were to our navigational system.

Prototype Photos

I Want...

Recipe Search


Post Confirmation