Students want to more conveniently arrange for transportation into Boston. Especially for students on the go, purchasing tokens from one of the machines on campus is sometimes inconvenient, and often for a spur of the moment trip students don’t have time to do so. Furthermore, ensuring a spot on a bus and having an idea of a bus’s ETA is incredibly important to students, especially those taking classes at MIT or with jobs/appointments in Boston.
Our users are anyone who utilizes the Peter Pan bus
. This group includes: Wellesley students; non-Wellesley, MIT students taking classes at Wellesley; and off-campus Wellesley students
. These users, given their young adult status and statistical probability of owning a smartphone, could benefit from a streamlined Peter Pan and T app. By bringing the entire Wellesley Boston transportation experience to one app designed with the Wellesley-MIT bridge in mind, students will never again need to scramble for tokens or miscalculate the last T they can take before they miss the bus.
We are proposing an app that will better serve a student’s time using the bus. The app will have five main functions:
- Students will be able to purchase electronic, transferrable, one-use, unique bus tokens through the app, avoiding the issue of being stranded in Boston without a token or missing the bus because they needed to run to buy a token. That this is a mobile app suits this idea perfectly-students can buy their token at any moment prior to boarding the bus, eliminating a lot of stress
- Students will be able to make a reservation for a bus ride in advance, avoiding getting turned away when the line is too long. This is important for certain circumstances such as catching flights, making it in time to interviews and appointments.
- The app will determine an accurate ETA in real time given the traffic data available on Google Maps, and also show average time that each bus takes (average delay time depending on time and day).
- Eliminates incentive of bus drivers to accept cash from students when they don’t have tokens and eliminates the black market of fake tokens.
- Shows how full the bus is expected to be at each location, so people can go to a bus stop that is later on or earlier if they expect it to be full at a particular location.
The app will have screens for: token purchase procedures, map/route/T details, information according to each bus(available seats on bus, average timeliness of that bus in accordance to day/route, information of facebook friends who have also purchased a ticket for a bus). We plan to implement consistent color and functionality scheme for continuity throughout the app.